4/11/2008

First round thoughts


Montreal had no trouble beating Boston in Game 1, but interestingly enough, they didn't do it through their league-leding power play. Boston tried so hard to not take a lot of unnesessary penalties that they instead gave the Habs too much room to score at even strength. I expect the Bruins to check a lot more and hit a lot more in Game 2.

* * *

Just a couple of hours left until the puck drops at the Verizon Center in Game 1 of the Washington - Philadelphia series. This is by far the most interesting of all match-ups in the first round. I did pick the Flyers to take home the series but I think the Caps will win round one. These Flyers are a comeback team and they will snatch Game 2 before the series goes to Philly. Did I say Flyers in 7? I think so. Wow, this is going to be a classic.

* * *

The Detroit Red Wings got some lucky bounces and managed to fight off the hot Nashville Predators and I think that was really important for the Wings to head into this playoffs not having to comeback early in the series. There is a lot of pressure in Motown and, eventhough the Wings took home the Presidents Trophy again, because of a couple of early round exits from the playoffs, a lot of fans don't expect them to go far. Can't be easy to be the best team so often.

* * *

I did pick Anaheim over Dallas and, eventhough it is just a guess because stats mean nothing in playoffs, I have to stand by that but losing at 0-4 at home is certainly not the start the Ducks had hoped for. I expected Dallas to give the Ducks a run for their money but this? No way! Turco was magnificent and the Stars made the home team pay on their power play. Interesting to see how Anaheim will play in Game 2. Expect Turco to sweat.

No comments: