12/03/2007

Sundin trade rumors

Apparently there is a rumor of Mats Sundin in the near future being traded to Detroit. This rumor is complete news to me, and most other people I'm sure, and it's probably not true. As interesting as that trade would be, it seems highly unlikely it would happen.

First of all, the Toronto Maple Leafs will want a first round pick for Sundin, should they ever trade him, and Detroit aren't likely to give that up. Also, they would have to give up more than that and I don't think either Mike Babcock or GM Ken Holland are interested in such a high profile name at a huge price. They don't need it. I think it's more likely Sundin will end up in Ottawa for Mike Fisher plus some draft picks. To me that trade makes sense. The Senators will boost their chances at a cup while Toronto gets a player with lots of potential to start building something new around.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to see Sundin in Motown, cause it certainly would, but I think Detroit will shop around for a slightly cheaper but productive centre when the time comes. As for Toronto, I think will see John Ferguson's exit sooner than Sundin's.

Having said that, I enjoy rumors as much as the next guy, and I urge you to send me more of them. How about Forsberg to the Rangers? Just kidding.. or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves as this was just a rumor and better to leave it as just that, for now at least. Seemed fitting to add it to your column as you were writing about the Wings and Swedes.

However, if Detroit is serious about a cup run, I don't think a first-rounder is a steep price for a player like Sundin who obviously still has some gas in the tank. Plus the Wings will only eat up a fraction of his contract if they would snag him around the deadline.

Personally, I do think both JFJ and Sundin will be moved prior to the deadline. It's now or never for the Leafs and if the two are shipped out then it'll finally be a step in the right direction for Toronto. As far as the rumor du jour is concerned, I doubt No.13 will wind up in Motown as all they really would have to offer is in fact a top pick. But he will be dealt somewhere, two years overdue.

Niklas Olsson said...

It was fitting. Did I get ahead of my self? Glad you caught me before I started calling friends in Michigan.