11/18/2007

Don Cherry, seriously

While watching Hockey Night in Canada, one question pops into my head; When are they going to get rid of Don Cherry? Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not suggesting this because of his old "chicken Swedes" comments, I just think he is a clown and the show would be better off without his antics. Over the years Don Cherry has generated significant controversy about both hockey and politics, as the exhibitionist he is, and I have never understood why Canadians (not French Canadians, I guess) like him so much. I am sure some of you will point that out to me if you read this. Please do.

I can take his stupid shirts and ties, but the jacket he wore last night is by far the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I respect Veterans day as much as the next guy, but I seriously doubt that Cherry does. Wearing a pin shows you care, wearing that jacket, not even sure I can call it that, is bordering on mocking it.

And please, I realize Coach's Corner is supposed to provide a bit of comic relief. I just don't find his crap funny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HNIC is, from coast to coast, the most beloved TV program in Canada. Its theme song is to many the national anthem of Canada. I remember as a kid tuning in to watch the Saturday night games(s) and just hearing the song kick off each show was a treat on its own. Due to this, anything dealing with HNIC is extra special to Canadians which, in this case, includes Don Cherry.

But don't worry, Canadians today laugh as much with Cherry as they do at him, that's a fact. Just as much as everyone loves him, everybody also sees how out of line he has been many times especially the past 10 years. He turned off a lot of people a few years ago when he called a then 16-year old Sidney Crosby a hot dog on national TV. Personally, I've always loved him but he was always borderline crazy. Today, he's not just nuts but also senile so one can guess the rest.

Niklas Olsson said...

I think HNIC is a great show and I like Ron MacLean a lot. But as you pointed out, Cherry is senile (that alone, to me, is reason enough to get rid of him) and crazy.

I have always found him annoying. And worst thing is that, as the exhibitionist he is, he throws his nasty comments around for the sake of being nasty, like with the "He's an 18-year old kid" comment on Crosby being named the Penguin's captain.

Like I said, I like the show, I can do without the old guy in the giant purple top-hat.