11/20/2007

Rookie Enstrom carrying the Thrashers

I didn't get to watch any games live last night, because I was at a kickass Fu Manchu concert, but I did manage to catch most of the last period of the Lightning-Thrashers game. That was quite a comeback they pulled out of their hat. Ilya Kovalchuk turned out to be all he was said to be a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he will receive the Maurice Richard Trophy when we wrap up this season.

What really strikes me watching the game though, is the way Tobias Enstrom is playing against some of the best players in the league. I caught about 15 minutes of the 3rd plus OT, and I can't really recall this rookie not being on the ice. Coach Don Waddell is giving him a ton of responsibility and Enstrom is thriving it seems. Playing with the poise reminiscent of Nicklas Lidstrom, Enstrom is leading all rookies in ice-time with a whopping 22 minutes. And this kid is only warming up, getting accustom to the NHL, and will only get better with time . Be sure this rookie will be there to pick up the Norris Trophy when Lidstrom is done with them.

No comments: