3/06/2008

Peter the Great returns


If one didn't know better, one would assume this picture was taken a couple of years ago (I guess the new jersey sort of gives it away). But it isn't and I'm thrilled to see him back. The amazing thing about Peter Forsberg is that whenever he makes a comeback he is great, just like he was against Vancouver the other night. he hasn't played a game for almost a full year but you can't tell. Who else is capable of that?

Terry Frei, who writes for ESPN wrote, "He looked rusty, but certainly not out of place." Most other hockey experts agreed Forsberg looked all but rusty in his debut at Pepsi Center.

Peter Forsberg has taken a lot of abuse since he first started talking about making another comeback in the NHL. You would think all the experts should have learned by now that Peter Forsberg is not like most other players in the league, but no, most of them were ready to write him off once again. I will admit that when he pulled out of the LG Hockey games in November that was a close as I've ever been to believing his time as a player had come to an end. The fire in his eyes wasn't there. He looked done. Of course he wasn't and he probably knew even then.

Peter Forsberg's stats, which are great (especially his playoff numbers), don't even begin to tell how great a player he is. He has deep passion for the game, one that is rare, at least to that degree. His stubborness to never give up, his will to win and his hatred of losing makes him special and there few if any like him.

I consider myself very fortunate that I am ones again able to see him out there on the ice along side Joe Sakic and Milan Hejduk and I am sure many share my feelings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Forsberg. The fact that he's back with the 'Lanche is a treat for all hockey fans. If he breaks down again I'll pummel him personally :-)

BFox

Niklas Olsson said...

I watched them play Dallas last night and the way he turned it up a notch in the third period was nothing if not vintage Forsberg. Ian Laperriere was pretty excited afterwards, and who wouldn't be?