3/26/2008

Who will be around come playoff time?

I just realized I hadn't posted anything for quite a while. In case I still have any readers left, I will try to better myself, which won't be hard with the playoffs just around the corner. Speaking of the playoffs, I will give you perdiction for round one.

If Evgeni Malkin can keep producing with Sidney Crosby returning, I think Pittsburgh will grab the number one spot in the East. Montreal, Carolina and New Jersey will round out the home-ice four while it looks like Ottawa, NY Rangers, Philadelphia and Boston will complete first round. There is still a chance Washington could snatch the 8th spot away from the slipping Bruins but I don't think they will. Boston got a big win against Toronto last night and they have a game in hand on the Caps. Buffalo, Toronto and Florida can start planning for next season.

Out west, the situation around the 8th spot is just as tight as it is in the east. Only Detroit and San Jose are set as 1st and 2nd. Calgary and Minnesota are still fighting for the top spot in the Northwest Division and home ice in the first round along with Anaheim. Slumping Dallas look pretty safe at 89 points, but unless they start winning they could find themselves in a very unpleasant situation. Colorado are still hanging on for dear life in the 8th spot with Nashville still pushing hard for a playoff berth. Vancouver are also on shaky ground in 7th but, though Edmonton are just a point behind the 9th placed Nashville, I think the Canucks will hang on to 7th and the Avs will face the Red Wings in the first round.

I will save the outcome of the first round for my next post, in which I will also give you my prediction for the Stanley Cup finals.

No comments: