9/18/2007

Let's go local!

Fans always like it when local boys return to play for their team, like Michigan-born Brian Rafalski coming back to Detroit or Derian Hatcher, though that one didn't really pan out the way most people had hoped. I also bet there are several people in Vancouver waiting and hoping for Joe Sakic's return to B.C., just like most fans in aforementioned Motor City are still holding their breath for Mike Modano to come back.

These are all high profile names who attract a lot of attention around the league. Although forward David Spina, from Mesa, Ariz., is not a household name by any measure, he does deserve recognition for being the first local player to ever skate for Phoenix. In a 3-4 losing effort against the Colorado Avalanche he logged roughly nine minutes and was called for a holding minor in the first period.

It is not possible for any NHL team to rely solely on local talent, even though that would be really cool (and immensely difficult for some US based teams), but I guess that is what makes it so cool when a local boy makes it, or returns home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I have been reading your blog for awhile and would like to say good job! I live in Michigan and love the Wings, and one of my best friends actually played hockey with Rafalski in a summer league a few years ago. It is very good to have him here, especially with Schneider going only for the money in Anaheim. I would like to say however I do not want Mike Madano here, I think he is a pre-madonna and well, well past his prime even for Wings standards, keep up the good work

Niklas Olsson said...

Thank you very much for those encouraging words. I can see why a lot of people in Michigan are excited about Brian Rafalski playing for the Wings. I mean, Lidstrom-Rafalski could be one of the top D-pairs ever.
As for Modano, I have to disagree. Although he is a bit past his prime (but so was Yzerman some time before hanging up the skates), he is great, classy and, like Stevie Y, a club-loyal player and one of my all time favorite players.